A few months back, I migrated one of my WordPress blogs to Digitalocean by creating WordPress Droplet using their One-Click solution. A few days ago I saw the warning message on the WordPress dashboard regarding the PHP version installed on the ubuntu server. (When you use the one-click WordPress App, you get Ubuntu server on DO). This blog is on 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.19. Server
I tried to upgrade my WordPress from 5.1 to 5.2, but I am not able to run an upgrade due to the older PHP version installed on the server.
You cannot update because WordPress 5.2.2 requires PHP version 5.6.20 or higher. You are running version 5.5.9-1ubuntu4.19.
Upgrade PHP version of Ubuntu Server on DigitalOcean
Before you get started – Make sure you create a backup. Take Snapshot
1. Log on to your Ubuntu server – (I use PuTTY)
2. Check your current PHP version:
$ php -v
3. Add a PPA for PHP 7.3 Packages
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php $ sudo apt-get update
4. Run upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install php7.3
Installing most of the common Php packages can be achieved by using:
sudo apt-get install php7.3-fpm php7.3-cli php7.3-mysql php7.3-gd php7.3-imagick php7.3-repre php7.3-tidy php7.3-xmlrpc
5. Restart Php & Nginx
sudo systemctl restart nginx.service sudo systemctl restart php7.3-fpm
That’s it! you are now running PHP 7.3 and you can upgrade your WordPress and plugins. Happy Blogging!
- Essential WordPress Plugins You Should Install On Your New Website - September 28, 2019
- Construction Kit – Download Free WordPress Construction Theme - July 8, 2019
- PHP Update Required in WordPress – How to Upgrade PHP [Digitalocean] - July 6, 2019