Hotmail offer a free POP3 service which allows you to receive all your emails on your HTC Desire. If you have a @hotmail.com or @live.com address then it’s really easy. You just enter your email and password in the Mail application and it does the rest of the setup for you.
If You Have A @live.com or @hotmail.co.uk Account:
- If you have a @hotmail.com email address then stop here. Read the first paragraph of this article, because that’s all you need
- Open the Mail app on your Desire
- If you already have another email account setup then press Menu > More > New account
- Select Other (POP3/IMAP).
- Select Manual setup at the bottom
- Enter the following settings:
Email address: your email address
Username: your email address again (full)
Password: your account password
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security Type: SSL
Server Port: 995
- Press Next and the Outgoing server settings screen will appear
If you get an error message at this point double-check all the settings above. Make sure your username is the same as your email address.
- For the Outgoing Server Settings use the following options (bear in mind quite a few of the boxes will already be filled in for you):
Login required: Make sure it’s checked/ticked
Username: Your full email address
Password: Your Hotmail password
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security Type: TLS
Server Port: 25
- Press Next
- Give it a meaningful Account name (this just comes up on your Accounts list – it’s not displayed on outgoing emails)
In Your name enter your actual name – this is what will appear as the “From” value on outgoing emails
- Press Finish Setup
- Your account is now setup. You can press Menu > More > Settings to configure options such as:
- Disable the “Sent from my HTC” signature
- Change how frequently your Hotmail account is checked
- Change how you’re notified of new email
- Loads more, just have a look yourself!
- I get “Cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding” message when I press Next on the Outgoing Server Settings screen
A: Try server port 587 instead of 25
This article is a response to many people who’ve asked me how to do this on their Desire. I’ve always pointed them to web pages with the Hotmail POP3 settings but thought it’s about time I wrote it up as a step-by-step.
If you have any questions, notice any errors, or have extra information regarding this guide then please post in the comments or send me an email. Thanks!
Update: (sept 14, 2011)
Recently I Bought HTC Sensation 4G
Hotmail Email Setup Setting For HTC Sensation 4G
Outgoing Server Settings
Username: [email protected]
SMTP server: smtp.live.com
Security type: TLS
Server Port: 587
Note: Also Works For All Windows Live Email
- Essential WordPress Plugins You Should Install On Your New Website - September 28, 2019
- Construction Kit – Download Free WordPress Construction Theme - July 8, 2019
- PHP Update Required in WordPress – How to Upgrade PHP [Digitalocean] - July 6, 2019